Thursday, March 15, 2012

Awesome Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake

A few weeks ago some friends asked if I could do a birthday cake and some cookies for for their two little boys, with both boys being named after places in Texas the theme was easily decided. I was imagining the cake to be something cute and cowboyish, but Tracy had much better ideas and suggested a Texas sheet cake. After a little mouthwatering research I came to understand why, It seems this particular chocolate cake has a home at most barbecues, birthdays and any other events in need of a dessert capable of feeding a crowd.
There have been a number of occasions when I have used the phase 'best ever' about treats I have posted, there were those recipes and then there is this one. Those older recipes are great they always work out and I love them, but this Texas sheet cake gives a whole new meaning to best ever. Sure its possible that the amazing chocolaty richness is clouding my brain, but if that's the case it has a whole lot of other people hoodwinked too. Every single person I have shared this chocolate sheet cake with swears its the best thing they have ever tasted.
The cake suited the homely themed party perfectly, from the rustic decoartions to the amazing drool-worthy smoked BBQ. In keeping with the spirit people didn't even bother with the cake sever instead opting to serve their own generous size portions with their spoons or forks. I think my favorite part was watching birthday boy Austin removing the candles from the cake, taking care he didn't miss licking the frosting off a single one.
This quick and easy recipe produces a amazingly rich chocolate cake, with a good helping of butter making it lovely and moist while buttermilk ensures it stays nicely fluffy. The fudgey layer formed between the hot cake and the shiny frosting is heavenly, you'll see. The only change I made was to the icing, I adjusted the recipe slightly as the icing was almost a little too runny possibly due to the humidity here at the moment.

Texas Sheet Cake (Original recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks)

For the Cake
2 cups plain flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 heaped tablespoons cocoa (the cocoa I used is very dark in colour)
226 grams butter (2 sticks)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs (lighty beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla

To make the cake- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c. (350 degrees f.) and grease a 9-13 inch sheet pan (I used my regular lamington pan). Add the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl, give the dry ingredients a little whisk to combine.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan , stir in the cocoa powder and then the boiling water. Allow the cocoa mixture to boil for 30 seconds before setting aside to cool slightly.
Combine the buttermilk eggs and vanilla in a small bowl or jug. Stir the egg mixture into the cooled chocolate mixture.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until smooth. Pour the mixture into the greased pan and place in the oven.
Bake the cake for 20 minutes. While the cake is baking prepare the frosting. Pour the frosting over the top of the hot cake after taking it out of the oven, spread out if necessary.
For the Frosting
170 grams butter (1 1/2 sticks) original recipe uses 198 grams (1 3/4 sticks)
4 heaped tablespoons cocoa
4 tablespoons milk -original recipe uses 6 tablespoons
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 350 grams (1 pound icing sugar less 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup pecans (chopped)

To make the frosting- Finely chop up the pecans.
In a medium saucepan melt the butter then stir in the cocoa powder. Tun off the heat and add the milk, vanilla and icing sugar, stir until smooth. Mix through the chopped pecans and pour over hot cake.
Grab yourself a cold glass of milk and enjoy! You'll love it I promise!

Thanks Tracy for letting me use some of your amazing party photos. For more about the party and the yummiest BBQ I've had check out Tracy's Blog Itty Bitty Bites.

11 comments:

  1. amazing, that is really amazing!!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks incredible... almost like a brownie! So sticky and fudgy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries it was my pleasure.... Loved it you are an amazing baker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nooo what a shame, when I saw the first pic of the cake I said I want to do it! but continuing to read i saw that one of the ingredients is buttermilk and here in Italy I can't find it! :( poor me. but i'll write down the recipe, no one knows if someday in my life I can find it.

    www.rollolollo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't find buttermilk, you could try 1/2 cup full cream milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of vinegar left to sit for 5 minutes before using. I haven't used the substitution in this recipe but its worked the same in other things I've tried.

      Delete
  5. this cake looks so so yummy.
    Regards
    Olguis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is "icing sugar"?

    ReplyDelete